National Cheesesteak Day on March 24th not only celebrates a fantastic sandwich but it recognizes one of this nation’s greater debates; Who created this deliciousness?
It’s like March Madness for a cheesesteak. Pat’s and Geno’s square off at 10 AM followed by Chubby’s and Dalessandro’s at 11 AM. Then Jim’s and Tony Luke’s at Noon. Basketball fans know how brackets go. Someone is gonna get a by.
However, the credit is given to a hot dog vendor from the 1930s, Pat Olivieri. According to Philadelphia’s tourism site, Pat’s King of Steaks sits on its original location and is still going strong. This writer has had a cheesesteak from there and would go back in a heartbeat.
The important thing is this fabulous, juicy sandwich on a hoagie roll. The roll is filled with chipped steak, and you can order it with or without cheese and onions. If you’ve never had one, you can really only get an authentic one in Philly. Other places try, so go where you can. But someday, go to Philadephia. It is the real deal.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalCheesesteakDay
- Invite your friends and head over to your favorite cheesesteak restaurant.
- Get it with cheese (it’s cheesesteak day, not steak day), and add the onions, too.
- Make your own cheesesteak.
- Give a shout-out to the restaurant that makes your favorite cheesesteak.
- Use #NationalCheesesteakDay to share on social media.
*Click on the “Breadcrumbs” icon to read the full article! After you read the article, tell us your thoughts on how this national day affects the consumer and the businesses that celebrate it.